Reprioritize quickly, improve productivity, and drive business value with Planview’s project portfolio management software
How quickly can your organization respond to new market and customer demands and deliver business results? Planview’s project portfolio management software brings visibility into progress, financials, resources, and risk across all projects and work, no matter the execution method. Connect top-down/bottom-up planning and hybrid execution in one system to adapt priorities when change happens, manage new demand, and ensure resources and teams deliver what matters most to the business.
Planview helps PMO leaders eliminate resource bottlenecks, delivery delays, demand overload, and inefficiencies from manual processes
- Committed plans do not account for resource capacity requirements
- Project portfolio data is inaccurate nor readily available to make actionable decisions
- Complex, rigid governance and approval processes slow delivery
- Productivity impacted by manual processes and too many status meetings
- Inability to see resources gaps, dependencies, and bottlenecks as they emerge
- Strategic projects delayed due to lack of a consistent, data-driven prioritization process
Deliver the work that matters the most to your business with a modern approach to PPM
Prioritize and focus on what matters mostMaximize business outcomes with real-time visibility to continuously plan, quickly reprioritize, and easily reallocate funding and resources to new or changing opportunities.
Increase operational efficiency to reduce costs and unlock capacityOptimize workflows and resource utilization with the right mix of talent, teams, and execution methods while reducing manual efforts and taking corrective action sooner.
Accelerate strategic project and work deliveryDeliver more value by ensuring resource capacity supports committed plans, ensuring “just enough” governance, and building plans that address cross-project and staffing dependencies.
- Improve agility and drill down into planning and delivery with modern PPM and portfolio planning tools. View • a larger version of the imagePORTFOLIO PLANNING AND PRIORITIZATION
Integrate strategy, planning, and delivery
Planview’s portfolio planning tools provide visibility and insights to improve performance, mitigate risk, and decrease waste.
- Portfolio analysis. Rank portfolios based on priorities and drivers. Analyze against financial and resource capacity time-phased budget or target. Understand impact of trade-off decisions on ability to drive outcomes.
- Portfolio planning and funding. Reprioritize regularly, reallocate funding, analyze trade-offs with continuous planning. Shift to a product-centric approach and use roadmaps for incremental funding.
- Visibility and streamlined governance. See the big picture with dashboards and analytics, enabling accountability and realization of outcomes with just enough governance.
- Roadmap visualization. Sync and communicate schedule, milestones, and financials of each application and capability to key information about associated programs and projects.
- Manage dependencies. Visualize dependencies across programs, projects, work, and applications – understand relationships and optimize delivery.
- Holistic view of performance. Provide high-level visibility into KPIs in an easy to consume view spanning strategy, programs, projects, resources, and work.
- Choose the highest value projects and work, understand impact, and model tradeoffs within financial and resource constraints. View • a larger version of the imageSCENARIO ANALYSIS AND PROJECT PRIORITIZATION
Discover trends and potential solutions with portfolio analysis
Take a top-down approach to ensure everyone is focused on the right work, at the right time. Prioritize the highest-value projects and determine what can realistically be completed based on resource capacity and budgets. Enable users to access and share real-time information and take action to keep the business running efficiently.
- High-level scoping. Define resource and financial needs quickly without a detailed project plan.
- Scoring. Gather scores throughout the project lifecycle for prioritization of the highest value work and requests.
- Prioritization. Drive ranking and prioritization using objective, repeatable methods to quantify investment value.
- Scenario planning and what-if analysis. Create and compare scenarios to evaluate the impact of new demand on in-flight projects. Evaluate multiple scenarios to identify the optimal mix of projects and work: Predict, plan, and re-plan portfolios when resource needs or availabilities change.
- Integrate with bottom-up plans. Refine plans based on bottom-up project and resource estimates and actuals.
- Share progress through executive dashboards. Provide executive-level visibility and insights into portfolio and project performance.
- Capture project requests, new ideas, and project work. Use demand management software to score and prioritize approved work that brings the most value. View • a larger version of the imagePROJECT INTAKE AND DEMAND MANAGEMENT
Manage your demand pipeline against capacity
Use demand management software to see new demand and route requests through a centralized intake process. Portfolio demand management allows you to prioritize and plan a portfolio you can deliver based on capacity.
- Leverage top-down planning to understand and prioritize demand. Streamline scoping so you can quickly evaluate demand and then adjust based on detailed estimates and actuals.
- Centralize demand management. Capture all types of demand – product ideas, project and work requests, emerging technology, and new epics and features – with the appropriate information for evaluation.
- Work intake management and demand pipeline management. Automate intake flow with gates to organize, evaluate, and define decision points. Make objective decisions about whether ideas can be killed, put on hold, or advance for further consideration and prioritization.
- Demand prioritization. Use demand and capacity management tools to rank and prioritize using objective, repeatable scoring criteria comprised of quantitative factors such as ROI, or on qualitative ones such as strategic fit, impact, or risk.
- Gain visibility into resources, adjust overallocations and reassign work to increase utilization, then make informed decisions based on resource capacity to meet current and future demands. View • a larger version of the imageRESOURCE MANAGEMENT AND CAPACITY PLANNING
Focus your resources on the right work at the right time
Gain a dynamic view into all people – internal and contractor – across project teams, departments, and the enterprise with Planview resource management software.
- Flexible capacity and resource planning. Configure for how you manage people and teams today and into the future.
- Optimize utilization. Balance assignments across competing projects and support work, assess total demand before accepting new work, and sequence work based on priority and dependencies.
- Integrated view of resources and work. Combine resources, work, and supporting attributes in a single view to streamline assignments to teams and people based on availability and skills.
- Automated alerting. Set notifications for new and out-of-tolerance assignments.
- Understand how resource plans align to work performed. Improve staffing plans by understanding impact of non-project work and interruptions. Use Planview’s resource management software to compare resource plans to actual work performed.
- Time reporting. Use time tracking across all work to understand effort and costs.
- Effort analysis. Compare resource plans to actual time spent for improved estimating of effort level required for future projects.
- Project management offers real-time visibility into all project details (staffing, financials, progress, risk, issues, etc.) to improve efficiency. View • a larger version of the imagePROJECT PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
Centralize and manage project portfolios to establish single source of truth
Gain project visibility with a unified view of all work and resources with Planview’s enterprise project management software. Enable effective governance with “just enough” oversight of projects and portfolios.
- Project planning and scheduling. Develop and baseline a schedule with a WBS, phases, tasks, and milestones. Drive adoption of standards, increase efficiency, and monitor execution.
- Project financials. Manage project schedules, tasks, resources, and financials to deliver on time. Stay on budget with in-flight expense tracking.
- Variance reporting. Measure performance against baselines to see differences between forecasted and actual effort.
- Proactively manage changes and issues. Monitor in-flight projects, prioritize iterative work, tasks, and action items, and spotlight issues that need attention.
- Optimize resource utilization. Monitor current and forecast future resource requirements to reduce bottlenecks and avoid delays.
- Risk management. Track and mitigate risks to minimize surprises and improve communication across teams.
- Automated workflows. Establish process consistency and ownership of deliverables. Define and configure workflows aligned to various methodologies.
- Best practices. Incorporate industry and company best practices into processes to efficiently progress projects and work.
- Empower teams with purpose-built execution tools to visualize work to deliver the right work on-time – from collaborative work management to Lean-Agile methods. View • a larger version of the imageHYBRID EXECUTION AND TEAM DELIVERY
Visualize work and empower teams no matter how they work
Embrace today’s multiple ways of working across your organization and give teams the right tools to deliver outcomes while providing visibility across all work. Support multiple work methods – waterfall, collaborative, and Agile, or a hybrid mix of work approaches best suited for the teams and work. Give your teams access to digital workspaces and configurable work delivery experiences:
- Project work and project team collaboration. Manage discrete projects – milestone-driven, collaborative, task-based. Focus on project milestones, project visibility, and end-goal achievement. Improve team collaboration with easy-to-use contextual discussions at any level of work.
- Lean and Agile work. Manage the flow of work with highly configurable Kanban boards. Focus on process excellence and continuous improvement. Use embedded agile task management to manage incremental deliverables while centralizing important information so that everyone’s always on the same page.
- Agile Integrations. Integrate with 3rd-party agile tools enabling teams to continue delivering value without disruption and creating visibility into workflow, cross-collaboration, and alignment with portfolio priorities.
With Planview PPM solutions, all delivered work is tied back into the integrated strategy and portfolio plans that provide stakeholder visibility, drive organizational alignment, and enable greater agility to deliver the work and outcomes that matter most.
- Understand cost breakdown by strategies and programs with financial planning/management. Balance your portfolio to project OPEX and CAPEX constraints. View • a larger version of the imageFINANCIAL PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
Manage costs against budget and across portfolios
Planview’s PPM solutions provide comprehensive views into project budget, actuals, and forecasts to understand how costs break down by innovation, compliance, and “keep the lights on.”
- Advance project financial planning. Gain a complete understanding of project investment to value realization within capital and expense constraints.
- Budget, actuals, and forecasts. Effectively manage your project portfolio budget with real-time actuals. Forecast costs and effort, as well as anticipated benefits or revenue. Use this information to calculate investment KPIs and inform the business case.
- Plan and manage project OPEX and CAPEX. Robust capabilities enable project budget management, forecasting, and tracking actuals. Plan and monitor project OPEX and CAPEX from project schedules and templates that comply with financial reporting policies.
- Financial analysis. Analyze the breakdown of financial spend to assess portfolio and work health, as well as the balance across portfolios and priorities.
- Integration. Easy data management with Excel import/export. Connectivity with other financial systems supports an integrated financial process.
- With portfolio reporting tools, get overall health and key project information with stakeholders to know that work is delivered on time, on budget, and delivering the most value to the business. View • a larger version of the imageVISIBILITY AND REPORTING
Analyze portfolio and project performance
Centralize and gain visibility into projects and portfolios to accelerate time-to-value. Planview reporting allows you to view key performance indicators (KPIs) enabling you and your stakeholders to make better decisions.
- Gain a complete view of project and portfolio status with reports and dashboards. Planview portfolio reporting tools embed analytics and reporting into the UX so you and stakeholders can take action sooner, stay on track, or pivot at speed.
- Status and KPIs are embedded into the user experience to analyze information as part of daily workflow.
- Ad-hoc analysis. Self-service analysis to slice, drill down, roll up, and pivot to turn data into actionable information.
- Best practice reports. Immediate access to hundreds of configurable best practice Planview FastTrack reports that provide project portfolio visualization and information you need starting day one.
- Configurable ribbons and tiles. Leverage a unique ribbon on each screen that contains tiles, providing access to chart, table, or visualization data.
- Access where you need It. Share reports through email, mobile, widgets, and common office productivity apps such as Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Slack.
Project portfolio management (PPM) software capabilities
Plan portfolios, optimize resources, prioritize projects, and advance business capabilities to operationalize the strategic roadmap.
Portfolio Planning & Prioritization
Utilize top-down scoring methodologies or decentralize prioritization across projects and work so that the PMO and teams can make decisions based on how the work will drive objectives and key results (OKRs).
Portfolio and Program Management
Operationalize the strategic roadmap by optimizing portfolios to set direction for execution. Visualize dependencies across programs, projects, and work to understand relationships, resolve risks, and optimize delivery.
Scenario Modeling and Comparison
Model reallocation of funding and resource capacity. Create and compare scenarios to evaluate impacts, balance trade-offs, and ensure delivery on the highest priority strategically aligned work.
Application Portfolio Management
Visualize and understand the dependencies between your organization’s business capabilities, application portfolios, and the underlying technology stack, and programs, projects, and products.
Technology Portfolio Management
Drive business outcomes by connecting technology with business context. Partner with enterprise architects to jointly create technology plans that advance capabilities and deliver work aligned to strategy.
Coordinate delivery and achieve value to meet strategic objectives and quickly adapt and pivot as business priorities change.
Objectives and Key Results (OKRs)
Create a framework for your teams and organization to define measurable goals and to be able to track/measure success of their outcomes.
Leverage what-if scenarios to analyze the impact of new investments against the existing portfolio of approved investments. Quickly reallocate the funds/capacity to other work to achieve desired outcomes and aligned to strategy.
Connect strategy, investments, projects, and resources with roadmaps to ensure your PMO is on track to deliver on programs, epics, initiatives, technology, and applications.
Adaptive Portfolio Funding
Fund incrementally to evaluate progress and quickly adapt as priorities change and new opportunities surface. Assess impact of investment decisions and prioritize by focusing on outcomes, value, and shorter delivery cycles.
Collect and evaluate demand across the enterprise from unstructured ideas to formal requests, all in one place.
Project Intake and Demand Management
Easily automate the work intake process – capture, assess, estimate and approve projects, collect winning ideas, and manage work requests. Visualize the demand management process and governance into execution phase.
Support a culture of innovation. Generate, capture, collaborate, and refine new ideas, managing the entire process of evaluation and prioritization with crowdsourced challenges.
Collect requests for work and change from the business. Ensure that the incoming work requests are well defined, categorized, estimated, and dispatched properly to be taken into consideration for delivery.
Make informed decisions on projects and work based on resource capacity, availability, and utilization to meet current and future demands.
Manage resources assignments to planned and unplanned activities, select and identify resources and understand the impacts of proposed changes, balancing trade-offs, and evaluating alternative staffing.
Assess resource availability during the project selection and prioritization process to ensure that your organization has the capacity to take on investments at the right time and with the right resources.
Resource Planning & Utilization
Identify under- and over-utilized resources, thereby optimizing resource utilization across the resource pool and improving on-time project delivery.
Tailor time tracking to determine cost and effort towards progress for each team’s work style: Provide project teams with mobile timesheets, and flexible work costing features to reduce manual time entry for agile teams.
Compare scenarios and perform what-if analysis to evaluate alternative staffing and funding approaches. Quickly identify capacity constraints and model reallocation of resources and funding to understand impacts and balance trade-offs.
Enable governance and improve execution across your entire project portfolio with visibility into every aspect of each project.
Streamline just-enough governance and provide clear guidelines that focus on outcomes and results, rather than tactics, to drive accountability, control risk and dependencies, and accelerate delivery speed.
Create standardized processes to define project scope by building out the Work Breakdown Structure, tasks and schedules, gather financials and build budgets, and forecast effort and resources required to deliver.
Project Management Tools
Easily plan team projects, schedule tasks, collaborate on documents, and track progress using integrated Kanban boards, Gantt charts, document management, and interactive communication tools in one solution.
Plan and manage all work types, whether project-based or keep-the lights-on, with guidelines for capturing changes, risks, and issues. Understand impacts of change and easily make adjustments without disrupting delivery.
Support team delivery and project team collaboration, no matter how the work is done and enable teams to manage their speed of delivery.
Offer teams the ability to use the right work experience and tool for delivery – Lean-Agile, collaborative, or traditional PPM while ensuring alignment back to the portfolio.
Project Team Delivery
Create productivity-focused workspaces to manage group projects by providing team members with visibility into the project plan and tools to complete highest priority tasks and achieve on-time delivery of projects.
Agile Team Delivery
Provide Agile teams with configurable enterprise Kanban boards to visualize and manage team backlog, processes, workflows. Leverage lean-agile metrics to identify areas of opportunity for continuous improvement.
Team Collaboration Tools
Give team members easy to use collaborative tools to create workspaces for to support based on pre-defined templates, including template plans, documents, boards, and cards.
Integrate with 3rd-party agile tools enabling teams to continue delivering value without disruption and creating visibility into workflow, cross-collaboration, and alignment with portfolio priorities.
Manage forecasts, budgets, and expenses, and track plans vs. actuals to confidently take on new opportunities and maximize ROI.
Forecasting and Financial Targets
Forecast the costs and effort required to deliver each project, as well as the benefits or revenue that the project is anticipated to generate.
Flexible Project Funding
Fund incrementally to evaluate progress and adjust based on changing internal and external factors. Model allocation of funding and capacity within and between portfolios to understand impacts and balance trade-offs.
Budget Tracking and Actuals
Track financial data to visualize snapshots in a project’s lifecycle. Analyze against financial and resource capacity time-phased budget or target to ensure deliver work on-time and on-budget.
CAPEX & OPEX
Ensure proper CAPEX and OPEX categorization and alignment by tracking capitalized and operational costs/expenses on a project to directly impact the bottom line.
Time and Expense Management
Use timesheets to monitor actual effort reported and determine how this effort has contributed to project progress with actual hours and costs.
Use real-time data to measure and manage projects and resources. Gain insights from reporting and easily share dashboards with stakeholders.
Analytics and Reporting
Centralize project data to create a consolidated view of insights into reporting variances and health in scope, budget, dates, or quality. Quickly mitigate risks and make decisions to achieve on-time project delivery.
KPI Trend Analysis
Provide visibility to key performance indicators. Capture snapshots of portfolio and project information and perform trend analyses to ensure progress is heading in the right direction, and if not, easily make changes.
Risk Mitigation and Management
Visualize dependencies across programs, projects, and work to collectively understand relationships or impacts, resolve risks, and optimize delivery toward the strategic plan.
Executive Dashboard Reporting
Provide executives with the visibility to help them answer questions such as “Are we supporting business goals and objectives?” and “Can our portfolio mix help us to meet strategic initiatives and get our expected ROI?”
Planview is a recognized innovator and industry leader
Planview has been recognized time and time again for our contributions to Portfolio and Work Management innovation, making us a unique partner for accelerating transformation. See what industry analysts have to say.
- Show Me Hide
- Named a leader in the Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Adaptive Project Management and Reporting
- Named a leader in the Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Strategic Portfolio Management
- Named a leader in the Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Enterprise Agile Planning for 3 consecutive years
- Named a leader in the Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Project Portfolio Management for 15 consecutive years
- Show Me Hide
- Named a Leader in The Forrester Wave™, Value Stream Management, Q4 2022
- Named a Leader in The Forrester Wave™, Strategic Portfolio Management Tools, Q1 2022
- Show Me Hide
- Named a leader in the IDC MarketScape: Worldwide IT Project and Portfolio Management 2019–2020
- Named a leader in the IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Agile Project and Portfolio Management 2020 Vendor Assessment, Jan 2020
- Show Me Hide
- Named a Leader and a Fast Mover in the 2022 GigaOm Radar for Value Stream Management.
- Show Me Hide
- Named a top performer in the Quadrant SPARK Matrix™: Value Stream Management, 2022
PPM software for every PMO
Whether your organization is a young PMO and just starting to implement PPM or a more mature PMO/EPMO orchestrating strategic execution across all work, people, capabilities, and financials, Planview has a PPM solution for you. Reach out and we’ll help you find the best fit for your unique requirements.Contact Us • Contact
Get up and running fast with our project portfolio management experts
From solution implementation to ongoing operational support, Planview offers professional services, training, and support that maximize the value of your technology investment.Learn more • PPM
“I have been dabbling with several Project Management Solutions in my current organization and earlier ones; Planview came across as a complete package. One of the most crucial factors I understand now is the consultant who works with you. Their expertise in project management and the in-depth knowledge of the solution are essential for the implementation and successful adoption of the solution in the organization. While the feature list of solutions available in the market is easier to compare, such expertise cannot be gauged earlier on.”
Connect First Credit Union
Connect the applications you use every day
Integrate Planview project portfolio management (PPM) software with your existing tools and applications to keep information flowing and accelerate delivery across teams.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Contact us to see if your app is supported.
Take a tour of our PPM software for today’s PMO
See how Planview’s project portfolio management solution can help you deliver the work that matters the most to your business in this on-demand demo.Watch Demo Deliver business results. See how. • Contact
The Insider’s Guide to Modern PPM
What other guides won’t tell you about how to evolve portfolio management approaches and the technology to get thereGet the eBook • The Insider’s Guide to Modern PPM
Evolve into a Multi-Faceted Strategic Partner
Master the 4 competencies of a Savvy PMOGet the eBook • Evolve into a Multi-Faceted Strategic Partner
Enterprise Buyer’s Guide for Adaptive PPM Solutions
The key aspects to focus on when evaluating different products and vendorsGet the guide • Enterprise Buyer’s Guide for Adaptive PPM Solutions
Top 5 Challenges of Modernizing Resource Capacity Planning
How you can modernize and improve your organization’s approach to resource capacity planningGet the eBook • Top 5 Challenges of Modernizing Resource Capacity Planning
Five Critical Questions to Ask Your PPM Vendor
Evaluate PPM vendors and their solutions to choose the right partner and solution for your organizationGet the whitepaper • Five Critical Questions to Ask Your PPM Vendor
2022 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Adaptive Project Management and Reporting
Planview has been named a leaderGet the Report • 2022 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Adaptive Project Management and Reporting
The best project portfolio management software for PMO leaders
“We’ve got the data sets we need to undertake deep analysis and offer an extra level of insight into how our portfolio is performing to our Executive team.”
Director, Program & Portfolio Management
“We have changed the role of the PMO from a data collection and visualization department into a much more useful, detail- and data-focused group. “A weekly report would have taken us 2 days to receive, format, review, and publish. Now with Planview, it takes literally an hour. This allows us focus much more on the content and what’s being delivered.”
“[Planview] provides us with insights into exactly how we are using our resources and boosts our business agility. We are able to identify weaknesses and act upon them quickly to boost efficiency.”
Manager, Service Solution
UNESCO’s International Institute for Educational Planning
“As our needs have grown, the solution has allowed us to stop doing everything manually and implement strategic project prioritization.”
Deputy Director, IIEP
Read case study • UNESCO’s International Institute for Educational Planning
Planview’s project portfolio management solution delivers results
Cisco Systems Capital reduced time spent creating project roadmaps by 99%Source: Customer Read the case study
Siemens Energy saved 36,000 work hours annuallySource: Customer Read the case study
Santander made decisions 25% fasterSource: Customer Read the case study
- Nationwide Building Society
- VW Volkswagen
- UPS United Parcel Service
- Conagra Brands
- De Beers Jewelers
- EA Sports
- BCBS Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Vodafone Group
- Commonwealth Bank
- Abbott Nutrition
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- ABB Group
- Johnson & Johnson
Take the next step!
Watch Demo Deliver business results. See how.Download Solution Brief