Agile Program ManagementWatch DemoScale Agile teams.
Visual program management for scaling Agile teams and release trains
Visual program management for scaling Agile teams and release trains
Planview’s Agile Program Management solution gives your Agile teams a way to visualize, plan, coordinate, and deliver your organization’s biggest initiatives quickly, effectively, and with clear visibility into the value delivered.Watch DemoScale Agile teams. See how.
Agile Program Management solutions for your scaling Agile and transformation needs
From connecting disparate Agile teams to launching Agile Release Trains, Planview gives your business a way to visualize, plan, and deliver your organization’s biggest initiatives.
What is Agile Program Management?
Agile Program Management enables teams and teams of teams (or Agile Release Trains) to plan, manage, coordinate, and deliver value together.
When an Agile initiative grows within an organization, a disconnect tends to emerge between the way Agile teams form and operate, and the way projects are traditionally executed inside an organization. In order to truly benefit from Agile at scale, a better (more Agile) way to manage the work of interrelated teams must be introduced. Agile Program Management provides a structure for teams to practice Program Increment (PI)/Quarterly planning, map dependencies between each other, coordinate and manage how their work gets delivered within the team, across multiple teams and across the entire organization.
Is Agile Program Management Different than Scaling Agile?
Most organizations start scaling Agile (adding more Agile teams) because they have big, complex problems that must be solved. They need to take big chunks of work, break them down, and deliver them faster and more efficiently.
Scaling Agile is the act of taking what skilled, smaller teams of individuals are using to successfully drive product development and expanding the process, the methodologies – and the benefits – across the organization. This is achieved by connecting teams and teams of teams, and then breaking down multi-faceted initiatives into smaller pieces of work to be worked on simultaneously. Sound familiar?
While Agile Program Management means different things to every organizations, simply described it’s labeling the practice of managing, planning and coordinating the Agile teams. It is often viewed as the pinnacle of scaling Agile teams, and scaling team delivery. Implementing Agile Program Management will align teams to a process and planning structure, allowing all Agile teams to work together toward the achievement of key strategic objectives. In a nutshell, Agile Program Management is a key component to successful Agile scaling.
- Allow teams and trains to plan, manage, coordinate and deliver value in a highly-visual way. View a larger version of the imageAgile Program Management
Manage, plan and deliver all Agile work
Utilize highly configurable enterprise Kanban portfolio, program, and team boards for work visualization and planning across your teams and teams of teams, or Agile Release Trains. Use them to make better business decisions and create more predictable and actionable plans. Leverage bi-directional integrations between Planview and your Agile tools to get all your teams and their work into a consolidated visual solution.
- Visualize workflows with enterprise Kanban boards to drive clarity, alignment, and focus on key objectives. View a larger version of the imageLearn moreEnterprise Kanban
Visualize work and team processes
A key component to enabling Agile Program Management is enterprise Kanban boards. Use boards to illustrate workflow, status, and context, allowing teams to comprehend the work to be done and communicate with each other on work to be delivered. Optimize workflow, improve velocity, and unify teams for continuous improvement and timely delivery. Planview LeanKit enterprise Kanban software provides everything dispersed teams need to get work done.
- Scale Agile with Agile Release Trains; coordinating teams of teams, and visualizing work flow across different teams and/or products. View a larger version of the imageBuilding Agile Release Trains
Connect, coordinate, plan, and launch Agile Release Trains
Plan and coordinate across virtual or co-located teams with multiple, interconnected Kanban boards that map epics to features and other key milestones. Connect teams working in a mix of Agile tools and configurations with a single, highly configurable program or teams-of-teams board for cross-team planning and collaboration.
- Make Quarterly or PI Planning a breeze by planning, prioritizing, and collaborating on work together, whether in-person or virtual. View a larger version of the imageVirtual and In-Person Program (PI) Planning
Synchronize plans and prioritize work
Perform both in-person and virtual PI or Quarterly Planning easily and effectively. Give leadership the ability to prioritize the highest value epics first and flow those epics to the ARTs and teams. Give teams a way to prioritize features based on size, capacity, velocity, and customer value metrics. Use the visualization of the Kanban boards to balance priorities, sequence work, and communicate realistic delivery. For virtual efforts, use boards that mimic the whiteboards and stickies used for in-person PI Planning all in one place – no duplicating efforts or wasted time re-writing features and stories.
- Manage dependencies across teams with multiple, interconnected boards for tracking the flow of work and visualizing delivery risks. View a larger version of the imageCross-team Visibility and Dependency Management
Visualize delivery issues and sequence work accordingly
See work and associated cross-team dependencies to proactively identify and mitigate potential delivery issues. Use visual boards to determine work sequencing to prevent further dependency conflicts or delayed delivery.
- Increase delivery speed and teams-of-teams (ART) success through the implementation of Lean-Agile practices across different teams. View a larger version of the imageWork Tool and Agile Methodology of Choice
Enable teams to organize and work how they want
Encourage experimentation by promoting collaboration and visual workflows. Allow teams using any process – Scrum, Kanban, Scrumban, or others – to achieve continuous value delivery. Integrate with existing development tools and visualize all work at the teams-of-teams (ART) level for a comprehensive view across your teams.
- Track and measure how work moves through the team and program boards, and use Lean and Agile metrics to identify opportunities for team and process improvements. View a larger version of the imageData Analytics and Reporting
Analyze performance metrics and identify trends
Foster continuous improvement with insights and analytics into delivery trends across the teams of teams and the individual team levels. Measure effectiveness, remove bottlenecks, predict future issues, and adapt workflow to optimize performance. Use Lean metrics across all disparate tools to create the data consistency your organization needs to track progress, measure success, and continue to scale Agile across the enterprise. Tie your strategy to all the work delivered across your organization with the data you need to pivot plans on the fly.
- Visualize your team’s strategy, manage the backlog, prioritize work, and easily align team progress on Kanban roadmaps. View a larger version of the imageBuild Product Roadmaps
Leverage roadmaps to build better plans
Create visual product roadmaps to highlight future value in an easy to understand, Kanban format. See everything on the roadmap at a glance to quickly prioritize epics and features for upcoming releases and milestones, while understanding the context of products to come. Configure the layout to represent timelines, work streams, and themes.
- Visualize and optimize the flow of customer value by connecting the work of multiple teams in a single program board. View a larger version of the imageVisual Program Boards
Coordinate the work of teams of teams
Leverage the power of Kanban to see all Agile team work visually represented on a Program board. Understand dependencies between teams, their roadblocks, and risks to better sequence work and create more predictable plans.
- Visually plan and manage work across team tools and processes to understand all WIP and dependencies. Give management the insights needed to make accurate, data-driven decisions without disrupting the productivity of the teams. View a larger version of the imageReduce Agile Tool Sprawl
Connect disparate Agile delivery teams together
With Planview’s Agile integration capabilities, Agile teams in different and disparate Agile execution tools can visually plan, manage, and coordinate their work inside of LeanKit. See how LeanKit’s enterprise Kanban software connects to development tools for a simple, real-time, and process-focused view.
Agile Program Management Solution Bundles
We understand that not all organizations want to transform at the same speed or with the same solutions. That’s why Planview has created different Agile Program Management solution bundles to help your organization on its Lean and Agile journey.
Designed with the growing Agile organization in mind, we offer three bundles designed to fit different sized scaling efforts. Each bundle includes the software, support, education, and implementation services necessary to implement Agile Program Management inside your organization.
- Harness the power of Agile at scale
- Effectively manage the work of multiple teams visually
- Map dependencies and remove roadblocks between teams
- Sequence features and stories with connected board views
- Gain visibility and insight into what your Agile teams are working on and when it will be done
- Manage workflows, make critical business decisions, and time releases
With bundles sized at 50, 100 and 250 seats, your Agile Program Management solution can be up, running, and well-managed in no time.
Agile Program Management solution bundles
- LeanKit seats
- Small – 50
- Medium –100
- Large – 250
- LeanKit product enablement services
- Small –
- Medium –
- Large –
- Agile integration mapping services for one 3rd party Agile tool* (Jira, Digital.ai, Rally, Azure DevOps)
- Small –
- Medium –
- Large –
- Planview services: Cadence-based product enablement and coaching before and after Program Increment (PI) or Quarterly planning
- Small –
- Medium –
- Large –
- Optional Cprime Agile coaching package: Agile coaching and Program Increment (PI) or Quarterly planning prep, facilitation, and post planning review
- Small No
- Medium –
- Large No
Easily integrate and consolidate Agile tools
Planview’s Agile solutions give teams the flexibility to continue to use the Agile execution tools they are familiar with or that are already tailored to support their processes. Whether teams use Atlassian Jira, Rally Software by Broadcom, Microsoft Azure DevOps, or Digital.ai (formerly CollabNet VersionOne), Planview allows Agile teams to connect their tool of choice into a program or teams-of-teams board with ease – enabling them to continue delivering value without disruption.
Get up and running fast with Lean-Agile services experts
No matter where your organization is on the Agile journey, Planview offers comprehensive implementation and product enablement services designed to quickly move your teams and systems to the next level. Delivered remotely and/or onsite, our LeanKit product enablement services cover everything from Kanban basics and Agile best practices to getting teams of teams or Agile Release Trains (ARTs) up and running fast.
For those organizations implementing Lean Portfolio Management, we combine Agile methodology and LeanKit product enablement with our FastTrack implementation services – a proven, analytics-first delivery model that enables customers to accelerate and de-risk the implementation of Planview Enterprise One™ or Planview PPM Pro™. This fixed price, business outcomes-focused approach drives tangible results in 12 weeks or less.
Leverage Agile partners to transform your way
If your organization needs additional assistance, we have you covered. Planview has partnered with best-of-breed Agile partners around the world to make sure your Agile solution is implemented, rolled-out, and driving the business outcomes your organization desires. Regardless of where you are today, our partners can take you where you want to go.
Research and plan your Agile transformation journey
Building High-Performing Agile Teams and Release TrainsGet on board!
Scaling Agile Delivery Demo
See how to connect multiple delivery teams using disparate Agile execution tools and processesGet the on-demand demo : Scaling Agile Delivery Demo
Planview Agile Program Management
Solution BundlesGet the data sheet : Planview Agile Program Management
The 7 Benefits of Scaling Agile
The Key Steps to Implementation Across Your Organization
Gartner 2020 Critical Capabilities for Enterprise Agile Planning Tools Report
Planview scores highest for SAFe® and Single Lean/Kanban Team use casesGet the report : Gartner 2020 Critical Capabilities for Enterprise Agile Planning Tools Report
Gartner 2020 Enterprise Agile Planning Tools Magic Quadrant
Planview recognized as a Leader.
Expand your Lean-Agile knowledge
with whitepapers, webcasts, analyst reports, and more
Planview’s full spectrum of portfolio and work management solutions enable the transformation journey
From innovation to strategy to delivery, Planview provides the most comprehensive portfolio and work management solutions in the industry.
Drive a culture of innovation and employee engagement from idea to impact
Enterprise-wide portfolio planning and delivery that spans traditional and Lean-Agile approaches
Enterprise work management that advances PPM and project delivery capabilities
- Enterprise Work Management
- Project Portfolio Management
Create organizational focus on the strategic outcomes that matter
Project-centric collaborative workspaces that bring teams together to support everyday project delivery across the enterprise
Digital workspaces that empower teams to deliver their best work, no matter how they work